Living in Georgia as a teenager, I used to dread summer. Summer meant 100+ degree weather, humidity so high and thick you felt like you were breathing underwater, an endless cavalcade of gnats, and my lily-pale skin taking on a boiled lobster hue. The only times fit for outdoor activities were early morning or early evening. And you best be armed with a glass of sweet tea because even then the heat could linger, rippling over the driveway asphalt. A visible, almost tangible, heavy heat.
Over time, however, I've grown to love summer. Perhaps it took experiencing a real winter to really appreciate the scorching summer sun. This year, after slipping on ice and shoveling away feet of snow for the upteenth time, I told myself This summer I am not going to complain about the heat. Not once. And I meant it. Even as hot as it has gotten this year, I have truly enjoyed the tingle of the sun on my arms, the heavy warm air, and the pulse and glow of fireflies at night.
To truly take advantage of this season, I put together a fun summer bucket list of things I feel truly encapsulate the freedom of these long summer days. I may not get around to all of them--after all, it wouldn't this list would lose the fun aspect if I forced myself to check off each item like a mandatory to-do list. Instead, its just a bucket list of things I both love to do and want to do this summer 2015.
1. Read, read, read.
As I mentioned earlier, one of my favorite things to do in the summertime is catch up on my reading. So far, I've read about four books. My goal is six by the end of the season!
2. Finish renovating our kitchen.
3. Camp at Chincoteague Island and kayak to see the wild ponies.
4. Indulge in something sweet at Rita's Italian Ice.
Hello, Georgia Peach Gelati, I'm looking at you.
5. Eat clean and green.
6. Visit the downtown farmer's market.
7. Have a cookout on the patio.
Preferably one complete with a little table cloth and a jar of wildflowers.
8. Bike around historic Frederick.
9. Eat a juicy tomato-mayo sandwich, with a fresh banana pepper on the side.
These things are sacrosanct in our family.
10. Experiment with fresh salsa recipes.
I already burned our pants off with a recipe chock full of fresno chiles.
11. Write several book chapters.
12. Go for evening strolls around Baker Park.
13. Locate a Maryland lake perfect for swimming and fishing.
14. Build an old-door headboard for our master bedroom.
15. Catch a jarful of fireflies.
The one bug that doesn't make me squirm or squeal. Well, butterflies don't either.
16. Play a pick-up game of Ultimate Frisbee.
17. Watch fireworks in the park.
18. Go to a baseball game.
If you live in Frederick and haven't yet been to a Keys game, you need to go. So much fun!
19. Plant more flowers that any reasonable person needs.
20. Try my hand at plein-air painting.
We'll certainly be checking some of these off this weekend!
What's on your summer to-do list? Got any special plans?
Comment below, I always love to know who has stopped by!