Friday, May 29, 2015

Paris Grey Dresser Makeover


Sometimes you just get tired of looking at a certain piece of furniture. There's nothing wrong with it. In fact, when you originally bought the item, you absolutely adored it. It has good lines. The wood is in good shape. Yet somehow, you've grown tired of it. Until one day, you walk into your bedroom and think "that is a big brown piece of furniture."

So what to do when you "fall out of love" with your furniture? You  have two options when this unfortunate event occurs: 1) sell it and buy new, or 2) flex your DIY muscles. Can you guess which route we took? I bet you can. I mean, come on, you're reading this blog for a reason.


To revamp my boring but shapely dresser, I applied two coats of Paris Grey Annie Sloan chalkpaint purchased at the downtown Frederick store Repurposed & Refined. As I've mentioned before, the great thing about chalkpaint is the fact that it doesn't require extensive prep-work. No sanding was needed. I just thoroughly cleaned and dusted the piece before painting.



Once the paint had dried, I added some slight distress marks to allow the original wood color to come through. I had a hunch that the original color of the dresser would look beautiful paired with the Paris Grey. And I was right! I love the way it turned out. The distress marks really accentuate the shape and details of the piece. Finally, I applied a top coat of Annie Sloan Clear Wax to both protect the dresser and give it a nice sheen.

This project was my first time using Paris Grey on a personal project, and I am thrilled with the result. Since our bedroom walls are a deep charcoal color, I initially hesitated to bring in another grey hue. But I'm so glad I did! The milky grey pops against the dark walls and, despite standing out more, simultaneously makes the room seem larger.


Since this project proved successful, I plan to turn to another room this weekend: the kitchen. Curious about what we have planned? Here's a color hint: "Old Violet" or "Napoleonic Blue"? Decisions, decisions. Stay tuned for updates!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...