Friday, March 1, 2013

Order, Order in the Court...I mean, Kitchen!

image source
If you know me at all, you will have picked up on the fact that I am a very meticulous and organized person. I like things to be precise, to have things arranged in neat little rows by color, by size, by content. This penchant for orderliness manifests itself most often in the form of lists-- lists for everything. Literally, people, everything.

Packing lists, grocery lists, graduate program lists, workout lists, knitting project lists, book lists, essay-topics lists, pros-and-cons lists (for any and all decisions).

 It could go on and on. My journals typically turn into very dry, sparse collections of...yes, you guessed it, lists. I start out with good intentions to write journal entries containing real, creative worth...or at least the mucky origins of creative worth...but instead somehow, my journals into great beasts of list-making. I don't know what this says about me... other than perhaps my thoughts churn through my head in vast, calculator reels of information...? I hope not.

Understanding that aspect of my personality though, may help you understand my horror, my chagrin, my downright perpetual irritation with that no-man's-land called under the kitchen sink. 

Insert dramatic pause for effect, as I glare pointedly at the cabinet doors.

Ladies, I don't know about you... but I hate the space under the sink. WHAT is going on down there? I try to keep things so orderly. But here's what I find every time I open that cabinet door: the cleaning bottles all tilted over, like a mess of bashed bowling pins.  The trash-bag box somehow always has one trash bag trying to escape, flopping around on the cabinet floor. There's one isolated, lonely sponge. Just ...there. And don't even get me started on the plastic grocery bags...which apparently breed and multiple with the same ferocity as rabbits.

I make genuine efforts to tidy this sloppy space up--but  I feel like some mischievous little gremlin sneaks in there and rustles everything around again. (Husband, it better not be you! Just saying.)

Then, poking around on pinterest I find inspiring organization blogs (yes, that's how bad my organizing needs are...I read blogs about it) like this one and I get all inspired to make drastic changes.

So: this weekend may start with a mission. To tackle and clean and sort and tidy (somehow permanently) that dratted under the sink space. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...