Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Our Wedding Part 2

Part Two, The Venue:

One of my favorite aspects of our wedding was the venue. The tiny town of Cornelia, Georgia--my stomping grounds--houses this rare gem: the Cornelia Community Center. Its rather un-exciting name belies its architectural beauty. While the name conjures images of a plan-brick, blue-carpeted, drop-ceiling place, the actuality is much different. And much better. Trust me.

Built by the W.P.A. during the  Great Depression, the Cornelia Community House is all windows, wood, and stone. The interior boasts vaulted ceilings with exposed beams, hardwood floors, and massive stone fireplaces. A moss-covered fountain cascades in the front lawn, and the basement has the vibe of a cool wine cellar. In short, it's a perfect place to host an event. It provides the look of a high-dollar Atlanta wedding for a fraction of the price.

However, using the Community House as our wedding venue nearly slipped my mind. This, despite growing up in Cornelia and driving by the center and its surround park every day of my life. I knew I wanted a rustic look for our wedding, but wasn't sure if I wanted to commit to an outdoor barn wedding. Then, one day, it hit me. Duh! The Community Center! My parents, two bridesmaids, and I went to scout out the spot, and we all instantly fell in love with it. As a history minor, I loved the building's story and the  warm woodsy-musk that filled the inside. Knowing my husband-to-be was an avid outdoors-man and climber, I figured he too would love the place. I was right!

Since our wedding, the venue exploded in popularity and gained bookings for almost every weekend of the year. (Seriously, it's beautiful... just Google it.) This just goes to show that you don't always have to break the bank or head for the stylish cities to find a beautiful nook. Even small towns can boast big style. Personally, I wouldn't trade my wedding venue for any other spot in the world. The day was beautiful, magical, and perfect--and this grand old building did much to help create that atmosphere.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...