Monday, January 14, 2013

In So Many Words 1.14

My quote for the day.

I've been thinking a good deal lately about rowing my own boat and minding my own business. Not in such a way that I become callous to others and their problems. But rather, focusing on how to improve my own self rather than nitpicking others flaws, issues, or complications. I think all to often its easier to think about how I could improve others rather than how I could improve myself. And my efforts are not always helpful...and instead maybe just critical. 

I think the verse I read this morning puts it rather plainly as well. Don't be so focused on the tiny splinter in your brother's eye that you miss the wood beam in your own eye.  The metaphor of wood and beams and splinter bits poking about in people's eyeballs is enough to make my skin crawl. But really, the attitude behind that mentality should make my skin crawl. How sad would it be to amplify someone else's minute flaw and yet be blind to my own huge problem? I wonder how often I have done this. I know its something I need to work on in the future and think the above quote sums it up. To be proactive -- everyday praying, meditating, and seeking away to improve myself spiritually and naturally. That way, I won't be treading on others to vainly elevate myself. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...