Friday, October 30, 2015

Dill House Diary // Our Fall Front Porch


Every year, I look forward to purchasing mums and pumpkins for autumn decor. Sure, I realize mums may be a bit cliche when it comes to fall decorations, but I love them. When I was a little girl, planting flowers with my mom was one of my favorite things to do. We planted petunias and pansies in the warm months, mums in the cooler months. Hedges consisted of hydrangeas and knockout roses. It's just the way things were. So now, as an adult with a place of my own, I carry on the flower tradition: roses in the hedge, mums on the porch.

This year, I added this lovely burgundy coleus plant. Of course, on crisp fall nights when the temperature dips too low, I have to bring in the coleus to keep it from freezing. (Two weeks ago, I forgot the poor plant and had to coax it back to life in the front of the radiator. It was very sad.) The addition of a few white pumpkins completed the ensemble. Now, we have a bright, inviting front stoop--ready for all of Frederick's little trick or treaters. If you're in the downtown Frederick area, keep your eye out for us. We're the grey rowhouse with all the flower pots!


If you're new to the blog, check out our Renovation Diary to read more about the history of our little house and our many renovation projects.


1 comment:

  1. I absolutely love the colors of the flowers. We recently did the exact same thing with a twist. My daughter picked out several small pumpkins at our local fresh fruit stand, and what she did was decorate each one with paints. We have pink, yellow, and red pumpkins lining the porch next to the potted plants and it really has transformed the entry of our home.

    Lynn Williamson @ DAL Builders

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...