Friday, September 28, 2012

Deux Joe

You've seen them. Popping up left and right on Pinterest, Craftgawker, even Etsy. They have that title that makes everyone excited: DIY. Step by step instructions that can turn anyone into a crafter or artist. 

The project I'm talking about is the DIY Sharpie Mug. 
If you've been missing out on this particular fashion, here are a few examples: 
While these examples provide beautifully inspiring photos, most simply ignored the need for clear, concrete instruction. And, I don't know about you, but I like straightforward, step-by-step, holding-my-hand, pointing-out-the-obvious, no-room-for-doubt instructions. Okay?
One pin just encouraged me to "doodle" whatever I wanted and then simply "pop them in the oven." There I stood, staring at my dollar store mug, envisioning a melting mug and toxins being unleashed into my mom's kitchen.

Not good.

But then, there came A Beautiful Mess. My favorite craft blog. Thank you Elsie & Emma for your helpful and simple tutorial (I wonder how many times I've said that these past few months??). 

Their tutorial can be found here.

Clear. Easy to follow. 
So, here's a peek at the results of my own attempt at this super-easy and super-quick craft. 


The supplies needed are basic: white ceramic coffee mug (I found mine for $1 at BigLots); a sharpie; an oven; and a steady hand. 
The instructions: write your note/quote or doodle your doodle; then simply bake them on 350* for about 30 minutes. Viola!

Now, the cute nonsensical sayings used by A Beautiful Mess--as cute as they were-- didn't exactly apply to Mark and I. I'm not one to mimic other's designs, but we had a good laugh at the fact that I was the masculine one who loved the dark,black coffee while my big, tall husband prefers the sweet green tea. I really wanted these mugs in our new kitchen, knowing we and everyone else would get a little chuckle out of them.
However, the full credit for this design goes to A Beautiful Mess. 

My results: 


And there you have it.
A,B,C. 1,2,3-- a sweet and easy DIY shower, hostess, or just-because-I-can gift. 

Note: The sharpie doesn't hold up well in the dishwasher. Handwashing, however, is perfectly fine. Unless, of course, you grab steel wool and attack, but that would be strange. Be kind and gentle to your little mug!

Happy crafting this weekend!

P.S. Two weeks to go until my wedding! Whee!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...