Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Currently 11.27

image source

My life lately consists of a wilting page from the Frederick classifieds, internet job searches, ink-stained fingers, and coffee rings. Outside, the wind intensifies and turns to a chilly wetness, reminding us that autumn is falling away fast.  And faithfully everyday, my sweet husband trudges out into the cold, while I do my best to scramble and scribble--job hunting, cleaning, writing, and cooking, half-ready and half-scared for change.

Otherwise, here is a glimpse at what's currently happening beneath the Hobbs roof:

Loving: This weather which permits the unabashed indulgence of my addiction to awkwardly big scarves. Yes. And I'm not alone in this obsession. This lady has the exact same issue. But there's just something really comforting about throwing on a cowl of chunky-knit or a thick, embroidered pashmina and running out in the cold. I don't know about you, but if my neck and head are covered and warm...I'm usually good to stay out there in the bluster and snow for as long as needed. So, big scarves it is; even if they make me look like a little kid when I  peep over the edge.

Reading: You mean, other than job postings? Well... Ha. Honestly though. After all my whining and moaning, I finally finished Phillipa Gregory's novel Wideacre. And you know, I actually liked it. Despite the betrayal, seduction, murder, and down-right dirty awfulness... I found myself really feeling quite sorry for the main character. A female historian, Gregory's writing focuses on women in history, their cloaked power, thwarted power, oppression, and ascension. She basically took this book's main character, Beatrice Lacey, and explored the archetype of the "witch-woman." It's a pretty uncompromising look at women of the 18th and 19th centuries and what they were required to do to grasp  and maintain the power that fell into the laps of their brothers, uncles, fathers, and sons. Its really fascinating--because you at once loathe and cheer for Beatrice, you love her and yet you want to bash her in the head. Well...maybe not that intense, but sometimes..sometimes...  Anyway, my point is: Gregory really challenges the ideas of female place and identity. I'm still not sure how I feel about it, really. I shall have to keep musing. In the meantime, though... I believe I might actually buy the sequel. Bet you didn't expect that.

Listening to: My husband and I have decided to open about this new relationship we've formed. Yes, we've started listening to Taylor Swift. Specifically her new album Red. That's all we have to say on the matter. ....Don't judge, folks. The tunes are catchy, okay?

Loving: This easy homemade pizza crust recipe. Oh my word-- I love it! I made it once before and blogged about it here. The quick and easy pizza has returned. Tonight, I'm trying it out again--this time with a BBQ chicken-and-pineapple theme. We'll see how it goes.

Following: These seasonal Pinterest boards. I've really been enjoying the collage-like affect that Pinterest possesses. It's fascinating to see what images people group together, based not solely on theme, but also on tone, mood, color, or shape. This particular Pinner nails perfectly the flavor of the various seasons. ( Pardon my pun there.)

Anticipating: Getting our Maryland driver's licenses this weekend. Admittedly, I'm not looking forward to the whole annoying process of actually acquiring the things: the waking up early, waiting in line. bad-photo-taking, paper-signing, etc. But I am very excited indeed to finally have a little plastic card that officially declares my name to be "Abigail Hobbs."  May seem cheesy, but it is true.

A Happy Tuesday to you all!


1 comment:

  1. Yay Taylor swift!! See I keep telling people that this new album is different and better than her others:)) glad yall feel the same ;)
    Miss you!! Glad to hear all is well!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...